Thursday, May 23, 2013

Learning more about Giving Them Grace: Dazzling our kids with the love of Jesus
Now that my teaching semester is over (just final exams) I'm trying to catch up on some of my reading list.  Elyse Fitzpatrick and (daughter) Jessica Thompson, along with the Holy Spirit, are convicting me of my sins of forgetting the gospel when it comes to parenting.  I wish they had written their book 20 years ago before we started having kids!  Oh well, I'm taking comfort in the fact that I'm still going to be parenting (to some degree) as long as I'm alive.    

I'm seeing that I have often used the Bible more as a rule book that as the "good news."  I haven't taught them enough about justification and Christ's righteousness, but have sometimes focused more on obedience and good behavior. I have succumbed to the false belief that "good parenting in, good children out," a formula contrary to the gospel.  My understanding of bringing up children in the nurture and admonition of the Lord is changing.  Amen!

No comments: